As Catholics, we have an obligation to participate dutifully in the political processes in the places in which we reside. Guided by our faith and Church teachings, we can help shape the political landscape in our nation, state, and communities to create a more just and moral environment.
This webpage provides various resources to become informed about the political process, moral topics to consider, and ways to participate in the political process.
February 27 – Precinct Caucuses
- Precinct Caucuses are partisan meetings in which the party decides which policies to include in their platform (by introducing resolutions) and elects representatives to participate in national party meetings. Caucuses are for a specific political party; you can only attend one party’s caucus. You must swear that you intend to vote for the party to participate in the party’s caucus.
- Caucus process overview - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EQDCK897ZA
- Find your caucus - https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/how-elections-work/precinct-caucuses/
March 5 – Presidential Primary
- This is your opportunity to vote on which presidential candidate you prefer your specified party to endorse for president.
- Find your polling location - https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/how-elections-work/presidential-primary/
August 13 – State Candidate Primary
- This is your opportunity to vote on which candidates you prefer for the various races in your state (both partisan and non-partisan).
- Early voting begins June 23.
November 5 – Election Day
- This is your opportunity to vote for your preferred candidates for all elected positions and to vote on ballot initiatives.
- Absentee voting begins September 5.
- See a sample ballot for your area - https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/whats-on-my-ballot/
- Register to vote - https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/register-to-vote/
- USCCB – Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship
- USCCB – Video Series on our call to Faithful Citizenship
- USCCB – Seven Themes of Catholic Social Teaching
- USCCB – Topics page with links to USCCB discussions on many topics
- Minnesota Catholic Conference - Educational resources for elections
- Catholic Vote – a catholic advocacy group
- MCCL (Minnesota Citizens Concerned for Life) – A pro-life advocacy group
- Register to vote, find polling locations, etc. - https://www.sos.state.mn.us/elections-voting/
Come, Holy Spirit,
Fill our hearts and minds with your truth. Bless us as we prepare to vote. Give us wisdom that we might apply the teaching of our faith to the decisions we make. Endow us with understanding and balance as we discern what is good for our country and its people. Guide us to seek leaders who will follow your will, and may our vote be offered with confidence that your providence will bring prosperity, peace, and justice for all your people.