January 22, 2021
is the 48th anniversary of the Roe v. Wade
Supreme Court decision that legalized elective
abortion in the United States.
As a result of this tragic decision, over 60
million children's lives have been ended since 1973, not to mention the physical, spiritual, and emotional damage suffered by women and men wounded by abortion.
January is a time when we turn special attention to
prayer and action in support of a culture of life.
Many events and activities are taking place at
All Saints and in the broader community.
Please consider participating in some way.
- Pro-Life Action Ministries' Roe v. Wade Prayer Rally, 8:30-9:30am at Planned Parenthood, 671 Vandalia St. in St. Paul. Remembering the nearly 62 million babies killed by abortion in the U.S. since the 1973 Roe v. Wade Supreme Court decision that legalized abortion. Contact Pro-Life Action Ministries at 651.771.1500 for details.
- Prayer Service for Life at the Cathedral of Saint Paul, 10:30am
Please join us for the Annual Prayer Service for Life. This prayer service commemorates the millions of lives lost to abortion and the many women and men wounded by abortion’s aftermath. Limited seating will be available, and COVID-19 protocols will be followed. The prayer service will also be livestreamed on the Cathedral’s Facebook page.
- March for Life Youth & Family Conference
High school and college students are invited to this day of prayer, inspiration, pro-life education and advocacy for the pre-born. Families are welcome and may register as a group. Cost is $10 per person; please bring your own bagged lunch. Find group registration details at www.archspm.org/marchforlife/
- Friday, January 22 is an officially designated day of penance for violations to the dignity of the human person committed through acts of abortion, and as a day of prayer for the full restoration of the legal guarantee of the right to life. Pray for those who are considering abortion, that they may make life-giving choices. Pray for those who have been wounded by abortion, that they may find healing, mercy and forgiveness. Pray for our leaders who determine the laws that affect everyone’s life. Pray for our nation.
- 9 Days for Life – January 21-29 – is a "digital pilgrimage" of prayer and action focused on cherishing the gift of every person's life. This multi-faceted novena highlights a different intention each day and provides reflections, bonus information, and suggested actions.
It is available in several formats at https://pro-life-activities.lpages.co/9-days-for-life-2021-english/
Pregnancy Choices offers guidance and support to women, teens and families who are experiencing challenging pregnancies. Services are given in a setting that encourages life affirming choices. If you would like more information about Pregnancy Choices – their mission and services, and volunteer opportunities – please contact the Life Care Center at 15010 Glazier Avenue (Suite 104), Apple Valley, MN 55124, www.mypregnancychoices.com or 952.997.2229.
No baby bottles this year: We are not able to make baby bottles available for collecting financial support for Pregnancy Choices. You can still contribute directly via their website or through online giving at All Saints: In addition to your donations, All Saints will be making a parish tithe contribution.
Drive for Life: For the next two weekends, All Saints will be collecting specific items needed for clients of Pregnancy Choices. (That list can be found below.) Marked containers for donations will be in the Gathering Space. Thank you!
This is an ongoing collection at All Saints to benefit clients of Pregnancy Choices Life Care Center in Apple Valley. A collection bin is located in the hallway near the parish office. Donations are delivered to Pregnancy Choices on a regular basis.
- diapers of all sizes and wipes
- baby lotion and shampoo
- Desitin ointment
- infant and child hygiene and grooming products
- children’s books
- snow suits and boots
- warm clothing (sizes infant to 24 months) and shoes
- baby thermometers
- new baby clothes (9 to 24 months)
- infant and child sunscreen and insect repellent
- light weight clothing (infant to 24 months)
- No Toys
- No Medications
- No baby food (other than what is listed above)
- No used items
Participants in Spiritual Adoption promise to pray for nine months for a baby who is in danger of abortion. While this baby will remain unknown to his or her “spiritual parent,” God knows who the child is. There is a simple prayer on the back of the prayer card which can be used to keep the promise of prayer. Prayer cards and other information are available at the Pregnancy Choices collection bin located in the hallway near the parish office.
The purpose of Spiritual Adoption is threefold:
- Encourage adults and children to pray for those contemplating abortion, that they will respond to God’s grace and welcome this child into life.
- Educate adults and children about the development of the pre-born child. All Saints will use a series of posters depicting and explaining the monthly development of the pre-born baby.
- Provide mothers in need with a “baby shower” of donated baby items through our monthly “A Community Caring For Life” (ACCL) collection. All Saints has conducted this collection for many years to provide needed items to women, children and families who are served by Pregnancy Choices Life Care Center in Apple Valley. (Details are below.)
(composed by Archbishop Fulton Sheen)
“Jesus, Mary and Joseph, I love you very much.
I beg you to spare the life of the unborn baby
that I have spiritually adopted who is in danger of abortion.”
The Catholic Church not only speaks out against and works to end elective abortion, but we also seeks to bring healing to those who have been wounded by abortion. If you, or someone you love is suffering from the affects of an abortion, resources for healing are available through any Catholic parish. Contact All Saints' Pastoral Care Office at 952.985.9983.
The following are two excellent resources:
- Project Rachel | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Rachel's Vineyard is a retreat program and resource for persons who suffer from the affects of abortion. www.rachelsvineyard.org | 952.882.2072 / email@example.com
40 Days for Life is a focused, international campaign of prayer, fasting and peaceful vigil in front of abortion facilities, with a purpose of turning hearts and minds to a culture of life, and bringing an end to abortion.
A 40 Days for Life Vigil is held in the Twin Cities in the Fall and during the season of Lent.
People of faith are invited to participate on any day at any time during the Vigil. Participate yourself or assemble a group. For important information that you will need to participate in 40 Days for Life, contact Joyce (952-239-6158 / firstname.lastname@example.org
40 Days for Life in the Twin Cities is coordinated by Pro-Life Action Ministries online at www.plam.org/40-days-for-life/ and on Facebook at www.facebook.com/40DaysForLifeTwinCities
Respect Life Month is a time to pray for a greater regard for the dignity of human life in our society, and a time to consider how we can advocate and care for this dignity in our daily lives. God created every human person in His image. Life is a gift. Check out the Justice and Service display in the Gathering Space during October for some valuable resources that will help build your understanding of the broad spectrum of life issues and what Catholic Social Teaching tells us about our human dignity. The display includes an opportunity for you to share how you have encountered “hope in every season of life.” Everyone is welcome to participate in this reflection by adding to the display your own items that highlight the precious gift of life in all its stages from conception to natural death. For more information visit the U.S. Bishops’ website at www.respectlife.org.
Reprinted (excerpted) from Respect Life Program, Copyright © 2015, United States Conference of Catholic Bishops, Washington, D.C. All rights reserved.
For more about the US Bishops' Respect Life Program