Hope For Purity - Help for those Struggling
Be not afraid. There is hope. You can find freedom from the feelings of shame, fear, and isolation caused by compulsive viewing of pornography. Jesus Christ offers us His hope and mercy in the Sacraments and wants you to live a full life. You’ll learn to deal with your triggers, with the feelings of loneliness, rejection, anger, fear, boredom, and weariness. But there is only one way to do this, to step out of the darkness and into the light.
Take Action Now
- Develop a life of prayer and frequent confession
You have developed an attachment to sin. It’s up to you to make a choice to pray daily, read Scripture, and reflect in silence. Those in recovery find monthly confession helpful, some even go on a weekly basis. Consider adding Eucharistic Adoration and make Mass a priority.
- Join a support group or see a therapist
Have you tried quitting porn, but failed to quit? If the answer is yes, you need to seek help. Pornography often masks real problems of intimacy, self worth, and regulating emotions. Only through working with others will you be able to identify the true problem and develop a recovery plan. Contact Tom to be part of the Men's Support Group at All Saints by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or check out https://www.catholictherapists.com/ to find someone you may want to work with.
- Get an accountability partner
On your road to recovery you need someone to open up to and keep you faithful to your commitments. Your accountability partner should be someone of the same gender. And, in most cases, should not be your spouse. While your spouse may play a role in your recovery, it is often difficult for a spouse to maintain a detachment from your behaviors and provide the coaching you need. For more help in choosing an accountability partner see https://www.covenanteyes.com/2013/03/08/accountability-partner-script/.
- Set up filtering and accountability software
Make sure every device you touch is protected. No loopholes! Set up filtering to block access to explicit material. And accountability software that monitors your internet activity for risky behavior. Make sure to the software is capable of sending reports to your accountability partner. Check out https://www.covenanteyes.com/ for a great solution.
Online Resources for those struggling with pornography
- https://reclaimsexualhealth.com/ - A behavior and Catholic faith based online program to break porn addiction.
- https://www.joinfortify.com/ - Fortify is an online, behavior based, program to find freedom from porn addiction. Free membership for 13-17 year olds.
- Delivered: True Stories of Men and Women Who Turned from Porn to Purity - A book containing testimonies from men and women who fell into pornography, but found deliverance through God's grace.
- How to Quit Porn - Youtube video from Fr. Mike Schmitz.
- https://leaveporn.com/ - LifeTeen’s site on how to quit porn.
- https://thevictoryapp.com/ - iOS and Android app developed by LifeTeen to help people overcome porn addiction.
- https://integrityrestored.com/ - Awareness and help site with a Catholic focus.
- www.cornerstonetherapyandrecovery.com - Offers mental health services and programs designed to help individuals, couples and families heal and grow. Provides outpatient treatment groups for men with sexual addiction/compulsion issues.
Books for those struggling with pornography
- Restored: True Stories of Love and Trust after Porn by Matt & Cameron Fradd
- Delivered: True Stories of Men and Women Who Turned from Porn to Purity by Matt Fradd
- The Porn Myth: Exposing the Reality Behind the Fantasy of Pornography by Matt Fradd
- Don’t Call It Love: Recovery from Sexual Addiction by Patrick Carnes Ph.D.
- Out of the Shadows: Understanding Sexual Addiction by Patrick Carnes Ph.D.
- A Gentle Path through the Twelve Steps - The Classic Guide for All People in the Process of Recovery by Patrick Carnes Ph.D.
- Answers in the Heart: Daily Meditations for Men and Women Recovering from Sex Addiction by Anonymous
- Holy Sex! A Catholic Guide to Toe-Curling, Mind-Blowing, Infallible Loving by Gregory Popcak Ph.D.